Monday, April 4, 2016

Second Sunday of Easter - April 3, 2016

“Father, what do you want?” It was Holy Saturday 2015. I had been at St. Malachy a little less than a full year, and that was my first Easter. I was getting ready for the Holy Saturday blessing of Easter food when I got a phone call asking what I wanted. The caller explained that they had always given money to the priests at the blessing of Easter food until one of the priests then said he would rather have some of the goodies. I didn’t really want to ask for food since I knew that Fr. Russell and I were already getting more than we could possibly eat. So this year, remembering that question, I decided to try something different. I put out the donation box for Focus On Renewal and asked people to consider sharing with those less fortunate. With no advance warning, the people who were there donated an overwhelming $236 to F.O.R. to help those in need.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have been so surprised. If there is one thing I have learned about St. Malachy, it is that the people here are very giving. So I need to take time to say “thank you” for all that you did to make Lent a fruitful time and to make Easter a joyful celebration. And yes, that includes those who gave me more food than I could possibly eat.

For the thirty-ninth consecutive year, St. Malachy Players presented a very moving experience of the Living Stations of the Cross throughout Lent, both here and on the road. Even while their director, Margie Masilunas, was convalescing, they did a great job under the guidance of Sue Barron.

Special thanks for the music at our liturgies. Director of Music Laurie Lanz did another spectacular job of coordinating the choir, the cantors, the Schola Cantorum (the quartet) and the children’s choir along with the guest instrumentalists. And again, even the absence of Margie Masilunas did not stop the parish and school hand-bell choirs from making “a joyful noise unto the Lord.”

The days of Holy Week present such a wide range of atmosphere that it can be a real challenge for any parish to do an effective job of properly decorating to reflect the mood of each individual day. Kudos to John Lester and his team for again bringing out the beauty of our glorious church.

I have thank those who did their normal tasks but with special intensity during the Triduum. The altar servers, lectors, Eucharistic Minister, ushers and others served “above and beyond the call of duty” with all of the liturgies.

Finally, thanks go along with congratulations to our newest Catholics, Tammie Colucci and Greg Moore, who entered the Church through the RCIA at the Easter Vigil. Along with Tim and Mary Ann Kuruce, whose full initiation is still to come, their joy at entering the Church is a testimony to the rest of us of how precious our faith is. And the way Tammie’s children answered my questions during the Easter Vigil homily added a note of joy that many parishioners truly appreciated.

Our Easter season is still in its early stages, but it has already been a celebration that I will always treasure.

Thank you, and thanks be to God.
                                                                                   Father H