Saturday, April 23, 2016

Fifth Sunday of Easter - Sunday, April 24, 2016

As we come to First Communion this week and next, I realize that I overlooked something I have done in past years. I usually print out copies of a photograph from my first Communion and give them to the teachers to show their classes. The children then try to guess who the little boy in the photo might be. Although this year’s class did not see how cute I was in 1968, I thought I still might reflect on what I learned in second grade and how I use those lessons today.

On my First Communion day, there was some confusion about whether the boys would be wearing suit jackets since some of our classmates did not have them. We were then told that none of the boys would wear jackets, so I left mine at home. Almost everyone else had a jacket on, but fortunately everyone agreed that we would leave them behind. We learned that clothes are not as important as the fact that we present ourselves to receive the Body of the Lord.

I remember having to memorize some statements from a mimeographed sheet, but the only one I remember was, “If the host sticks to the roof of your mouth, use your tongue. Do not put your fingers in your mouth.” Of course, that was before Communion in the hand, and only the priest could actually touch the host. Also, our teachers told us not to chew the host but to swallow it or let it dissolve in our mouths. We were all worried that we would commit some sacrilege if we bit it accidentally. Then Fr. Murphy told us that we are indeed allowed to chew the host. We learned then that the Eucharist is not something to be approached with fear, that it was a gift from Christ to show His love to us.

On my First Communion day, my classmates and I wondered what the host would taste like. We found that it was not like the bread we ate at home, but it was enough like eating a piece of bread. Now we let the children practice ahead of time with unconsecrated hosts, but at least we got Christ’s message when He said, “My flesh is real food, and my blood is real drink.”

Looking back at my First Communion, I realize now that I was learning lessons about the Eucharist without even realizing it. There was, however, one point that I did not understand. I remember one of the teachers saying, “Don’t be nervous. Fr. Murphy loves giving Communion to children.” I could not see how children were any different to the priest except that he would have to bend down a little. I did not give that comment much more thought, though, until one First Communion day when I heard myself saying I loved giving the Eucharist to young children. Now I understand. These boys and girls approach the altar with a joy and an innocence that we hope to rekindle in ourselves. For them, this is a big day, and that should help us see that every time we receive the Eucharist, it is a big day for us. So as we see the children of our parish receiving Christ in the Eucharist this weekend for the first time, try to remember your own First Communion Day. Let us pray for these girls and boys, and let us pray that the Eucharist will always be as important to us.                                
                                                                                           Father H