Sunday, March 8, 2015

Second Sunday of Lent - March 1, 2015

Last week, I began a series of reflections on the Sacrament of Reconciliation in this column that will carry us through the season of Lent. As we continue to think about that sacrament, we realize that we have a decision to make as soon as we get to the confessional. In many churches, we make the decision by choosing one door or another. At St. Malachy, the decision is what we will do once we get inside and see a screen in front of us.

Many of us grew up when every confessional was a “dark box,” a room with no light and with a screen separating us from the priest. (I remember getting into a discussion with a classmate about whether the priest had a light in his compartment. The answer, as I later learned, was yes.) The purpose of the screen was to make us feel more comfortable by keeping us anonymous. We did not need to worry about what Father would think of us, for he would not know who that was on the other side of the screen. To answer that point, I am tempted to say that I’ve heard it all and that nobody need worry that you are going to shock me. Unless you confess to having been part of the conspiracy to assassinate President Kennedy, the chances are that I’ve heard it before. But there is another reason for everyone to consider going “face to face” for Confession.

The sacraments are encounters with God, but God comes to us in ways that we humans can comprehend. As humans, we communicate with more than words; we communicate with looks and gestures and many other forms. If we cannot see one another, we miss out on part of that communication. For my side, I feel like I can do a much better job as Confessor if I can see the penitent. I feel like I can tell more about how to advise someone if I can see his or her expressions. I often find that to be true especially with the children who come for their First Confession. As we begin, I often ask if they are nervous. Some of them say no, but I can see them fidgeting and fussing, and I know that I have to try to help them feel at home. That visual communication works the other way as well. It can be so comforting to hear the priest speak the words of absolution, but that comfort is even stronger if we can see the priest giving the blessing as we hear those words.

With that reflection, I should probably ask everyone to try coming face to face at least once. But the first time can be rather disconcerting if we are used to the screen. It may take a little time to get used to seeing the priest. So the best advice I could give is to try face to face confession at least two or three times. If we take the sacrament seriously, we will come to find such a greater sense of comfort that we will wonder why the screen is there.
                                                                             Father H