Sunday, June 1, 2014

Seventh Sunday of Easter - June 1, 2014

This past Monday I had the honor of taking part in the Kennedy Township Memorial Day celebration.  I had heard about the parade and the ceremony for some years from Fr. Michael, so I was pleased to be part of it.  This event was another reminder to me of what I am quickly learning about the spirit in our community.  I think our township’s slogan says it very well, “A great place to live, work and worship.”
             The parade on Monday also helped us remember that Memorial Day is much more than just a day for picnics and cookouts.  But it is traditionally the start of summer activities, even if we do still have a week left of school.  This Friday is the last day of this school year for the students here at St. Malachy.  I must admit that I approach this summer with mixed emotions.  On the one hand, the past few months have been such a whirlwind for me that I am looking forward to the somewhat slower pace that we get during the summer.  On the other hand, I am just starting to get to know people and to feel really a part of this school.  I think I will be ready for school to start again in the fall, when I can be part of the activity for the whole year.  In the meantime, though, let’s enjoy the summer.
That brings me to some comments that I like to make around this time of the year.  That fact that I’m new to this community and have not yet spent a summer here gives you the opportunity to dismiss any remarks I make that may not apply.  But most of these are generally true to some degree or another of most parishes.
First of all, please remember to include God in whatever summer plans you may have.  God does not take a vacation from us, and we should be totally dedicated to Him in everything we do.  If you travel this summer, as I hope to do, remember that there are parishes throughout the country and around the world that welcome visitors.  If you are not sure how to find a local parish, try the website www.MassTimes.org.  They can help you find the closest Catholic churches wherever you may be.
Also, when you go to church, please remember that our reverence extends to the way we dress.  As I say, I have not yet seen what St. Malachy looks like in the summer, but I know that different churches have this issue to different degrees.  I have been in parishes where most people dressed for Mass in the summer much as they would at other times.  I have also been in parishes where I wondered if the beach was right next door.  I well remember growing up in the days when we used to dress up for Mass each Sunday.  I still like to see people dress up for Sunday, but I recognize that we live in a more casual age.  So while I do not look for tuxedos or evening gowns, I do ask you to keep your wardrobe presentable and appropriately modest when coming to church.
Father H