Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pentecost Sunday - June 8, 2014

As a seminarian, I took a Church History course in which we had to do an “oral history” project.  I got to interview the retired pastor of my home parish, Fr. Robert Murphy, through whom God had first inspired me to think about the priesthood.  Fr. Murphy told me that when he was in first grade, the teacher asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up.  He said he wanted to be an Altar Boy.  Sister suggested that he might want to be a priest.  He replied that he couldn’t do that.  “A priest,” he said, “is made in heaven.”  When the pastor walked into the classroom, Sister had him repeat his answer for Father to hear.
Priests are human beings, each with his own strengths and weaknesses.  Yet in a real sense, a priest is indeed made in heaven, chosen by God with special graces for the good of the whole Church.  This year our parish has enjoyed a special time of reflecting on the gift of priesthood through five separate occasions.  The first two were Fr. Michael’s departure and my arrival.  Fr. Mike spoke of how much the parish’s appreciation meant to him as he left, and I am both strengthened and humbled by the welcome I have received.  Today I want to touch on the other three events.
A few weeks ago we honored Fr. Patrick O’Brien on his golden jubilee of ordination.  Today we celebrate Fr. Russell Maurer for his eightieth birthday.  And next weekend Zachary Galiyas of our parish will be ordained a deacon as the last step before priesthood.  Each of these events sheds a different light on what a priest is.  Fr. O’Brien has had a long and distinguished academic career.  His erudition is a sign of how we grow in our understanding of God and never cease to learn about our faith.  Fr. Russell is a kind and gentle man who truly has a priestly heart.  He is a sign of how a priest is to treat every person with the dignity of a beloved child of God.  He also continues to live his priesthood in his devotion to the Mass, despite his physical limitations.  Zach Galiyas is a very prayerful young man who joins the enthusiasm of someone starting a new adventure with the faith that allows him to place his life in God’s hands.
Each of these priests (and the future priest) is important to me.  My seniors, Fr. O’Brien and Fr. Russell, inspire me with the example of their years of priestly ministry.  Zach helps me renew the priestly fervor of my younger days.  And of course, Fr. Michael continues to be a good friend, a contemporary with whom I can share the joys (and occasional struggles) of priesthood.  I thank God for each of them, and I pray that all of us can be examples, each in our own way, to the people of St. Malachy Parish.
Our celebration for Fr. Russell’s birthday is at the 11:00 Mass today.  Please come to Father Weirauch Hall after Mass for a brief reception.  Zach’s diaconate ordination is next Saturday at St. Paul Cathedral.  Zach will be the homilist, one of the privileges of a deacon, at the 8:00 and 11:00 Masses next Sunday.  Please come and celebrate with him.  And please pray for vocations.
Father H