Saturday, May 3, 2014

Third Sunday of Easter - May 4, 2014

It is a thrill for me to be here at St. Malachy and to being my new assignment as your pastor. As I am excited to begin my time here. What a wonderful way to start, as well, as we welcome Bishop Zubik this weekend for my installation.
I used to go for spiritual direction to a priest who joked that he wondered why they call it an installation. It sounds like the bishop is coming with a wrench and a screwdriver and will plug me in. On a serious note, the presence of the bishop is a wonderful sign of our Communion with the Church as a whole, and thus our Communion with Christ. He is a sign that we share our faith with all who have carried on the Tradition from the time Christ commissioned the Twelve to go forth and proclaim the coming of the Kingdom. As such, the Bishop also reminds us of our unity with one another.
We express that unity in different ways. For me, it is becoming clearer now by my new assignment. Many of you know that Fr. Mike has long been one of my best friends, and we talk just about every evening. So I had a head start on my time here (in addition to visiting that parish when I was Pastor of Guardian Angels in the West End, 1998-2005, and even when I was Parochial Vicar of St. Francis de Sales in McKees Rocks, 1986-1989). In addition, it means that I will keep Fr. Mike informed. right now I want to offer my thanks to him for the wonderful ministry he gave to this parish over the last nine years. God bless you, Fr. Mike.