Monday, May 19, 2014

Fifth Sunday of Easter - May 18, 2014

As I write this, I have been here at St. Malachy for two weeks. By the time you read the note, I will be completing my third week and will be celebrating my third weekend. So far the excitement has not faded for me. I admit there are times when I walk into the rectory and think, "What am I doing in Fr. Mike's house, and why isn't he here to greet me?" But in the midst of it all, I am feeling more and more at home. A large part of that feeling, of course, comes from the way in which the people of St. Malachy have greeted me and welcomed me and made me feel like I belong.

During my first weekend, especially with the excitement of Bishop Zubik's visit for my installation, I found it appropriate to make a few points of introduction. Perhaps I need not repeat myself, but I thought it important to restate some of the themes of my "inaugural address" here so that they are on record in written form (assuming that nobody was taking notes during my remarks).

I am currently in "listen and learn" mode. People ask me how I want to do things, and for the most part I respond by asking what we have done in the past. I know this is an excellent parish, and it is not my intention to fix what isn't broken. But at the same time, I bring my own gifts and talents to this parish, and there are certain areas of parish ministry where I have always found the most blessings. Toward that end, I make you my two promises, as I have done in every parish where I have served as pastor and administrator.

My first main promise is that I will make every effort to celebrate every liturgy with both reverence and joy. The Vatican Council reminded us that the Eucharist is the "source and summit" of the Christian life, so there is nothing I do that could be more important than the celebration of the Mass. I have tried to learn as much as I could about the liturgy, and I try to put my best effort into the celebration.

My second promise is primarily to the families who have children in St. Malachy School or St. Malachy CCD. I promise to them that their children will see me in the school or in the CCD. As a newly ordained priest, serving in McKees Rocks, I got pushed into teaching in the school. I found that was one of the gifts God gave me, and I found that it brought me great joy. I have always enjoyed visiting classes and allowing the children to ask questions, which encourages me to think on my feet. I also think it is important for the children to know that the priest is not some distant figure whom they only hear over the church microphone. Every priest hopes that he will encourage some young man to think of the priesthood, but I also want all children to grow up thinking of a priest as someone they can turn to when they have a need.

Those are my promises to you as I begin my term at St. Malachy. I also look forward to visiting the sick, taking part in parish events and serving the people of the parish in many different ways. But I begin with the promises that liturgy and catechesis will be at the heart of my service to the people of Kennedy Township.