Saturday, May 21, 2016

The Most Holy Trinity - May 22, 2016

This week I will celebrate my thirtieth anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood, and what a wonderful ride it has been. Sure, there have been some hard times, but that’s true for any person in any vocation. Whatever the struggles, I wouldn’t change it for the world. One of the struggles, of course, is that there are fewer and fewer of us priests, and that means that the load is not getting spread around as much as it once was. So I would like to ask you to pray for vocations to the priesthood and religious life.

We often pray that God will call more young men to the priesthood, but I am convinced that this is not an issue. The problem is not that God is not calling. The problem is that those whom God calls are not responding. In many cases, the lure of success as defined by our modern culture is drowning out the call of God to the priesthood. It is difficult to hear God calling us to a vocation that requires sacrifice when the world around us promises instant gratification and tells us that we have to take care of ourselves. But for those who accept the call, the joys far outweigh the struggles.

I have often had CCD and school students ask me when I decided to become a priest. I always tell the story of Fr. Robert Murphy, pastor of my home parish of St. James in Wilkinsburg. I knew Fr. Murphy from my youngest days. I was one of his Altar Boys (as we were called when girls could not take that role), and he had come to our house for dinner. But when I transferred from public school to the parish school for sixth grade, I got to see him more frequently. Yes, that is one reason why I am so dedicated to school and CCD ministry, though certainly not the only reason. In any event, my strongest impression of him was that he was always happy. I wanted to be happy in life, so I thought I might try what made Fr. Murphy happy. But as I always tell the students, I eventually realized that Fr. Murphy did not try to make himself happy. Instead of asking what he wanted to do each day, he always asked what God wanted him to do. He always wanted to be in service to Christ and His Church. I use that memory as a reminder for the times when I tend to put myself first. My true joy has come when serving God by serving His people. So please pray that more young people may see that true joy comes from answering the call that God gives, whether to priesthood, religious life, marriage or single life.

Finally, please pray for the health of all our priests. Fr. Michael Maranowski is back at the parish and doing well, but he still has doctors who disagree with one another over exactly what his condition is, and he still is getting back to full strength. Fr. Patrick O’Brien still intends to come here every week, but most weeks he calls to say that he is not yet feeling up to it. And we all see how heroically Fr. Russell continues to serve us through his physical limitations. Please pray for all of us priests, as I thank God this week for thirty years of priestly service.
                             
                                                                                                    Father H