Sunday, February 1, 2015

Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time - February 1, 2015

They’re playing the Super Bowl, even when the Steelers aren’t in it? Back in the 1970s, I came to believe that the Super Bowl didn’t really count unless the Steelers were playing. But in fact, this day has become perhaps our biggest national holiday. In fact, I even saw a suggestion once that the day after the Super Bowl should be declared a national holiday so that people who go to Super Bowl parties won’t have to worry about getting up for work the next day. I remember when the Super Bowl was mostly about football (and when the big halftime show was a group called “Up With People”).

For me, football is probably my third favorite sport. Baseball is easily number one, and hockey would be a distant second. As for events I enjoy, the Super Bowl would come behind the World Series, the Stanley Cup finals (and sometimes Wimbledon). But I will be watching the game tonight. I have a long-standing tradition of watching it with my two closest priest friends, one of whom is Fr. Michael. I will enjoy the company, the food and perhaps even the commercials. So since we are celebrating football Sunday, I asked myself how I could work our national obsession with football into my column.

First of all, notice that most everyone has an opinion or a rooting interest. I personally know very few of the players on either team, but I will be rooting for Seattle. Would that we could get so excited about our faith or so strong in defending the teachings of Christ. Perhaps we do see that at times, such as the way the crowds in the Philippines reacted to Pope Francis on his recent visit, or how we expect him to be greeted when he comes to the US later this year. But if we could only keep that excitement going at all times and be truly proud of our Catholic faith.

Then there are the commercials, which use humor (unfortunately in increasingly bad taste), cute animals and other devices to get our attention. This is similar to the way Jesus taught when he used parables concerning the everyday life of the people. He would get their attention and speak to them in ways that they would understand. If we can engage people where they are, showing our interest in their lives, we are taking the first step toward exemplifying the Catholic faith.

Don’t forget the game itself. While talent is vital to building a champion, the winner is often the team that puts in the better effort and works together as a team. As Christ’s Church, we pull together as a team. Most of us live ordinary lives, and most of us consider ourselves ordinary people. But coming together, with each of us supplying our own gifts and talents, we have made St. Malachy into a championship-quality parish. But then we remember that Chuck Noll immediately told his Steelers teams that the championship they just won was “ancient history.” He wanted them to turn their attention to the next year’s Super Bowl. So each one of us can continue to grow in our faith and continue to build up our community in faith and love.
Go, Seahawks.
                                                                           Father H