Sunday, January 27, 2013

3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

When I was in grade school, at my home parish's school, I was an outstanding student - that is - I was out standing in the hall. When I was in sixth grade there was a transformation in me; that is when I had Sr. Anne for my teacher. There was something very special about her. One of the things that I remember was that she would read the story of St. Dominic Savio to the class. Hearing the story of St. Dominic was inspiring for me. It was good to hear the story of a young saint who had the courage to stand up for his faith. I was fortunate to receive my early eduation at a Catholic school where I heard about God, the saints and how to follow Jesus' example.

This week our parish school celebrates Catholic Schools Week. The theme is "Cathlic Schools Raise the Standards." Catholic schools make a world of difference, and we as a parish are blessed to have a school where our children are taught faith - not just the basics of Christianity, but how to have a relationship with God. In Catholic schools academics are held to very high standards, helping each child reach his or her potential. Service, the giving of one's time and effort to help others, is also taught as an expression of faith and good citizenship. So please pray for all students, teachers, principals and all who serve in Catholic schools.